Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Wings of Gratitude

I was enjoying a nice leisurely Wednesday morning - working away on my computer, still in my jamies - when about 11:20 my on-line calendar pops up a reminder that I'm supposed to be playing a gig at 11:30... (yes, A.M.). Yikes! I had completely forgotten about it!!

Four things helped make the events of the next hour a success rather than an embarrassing disaster.....
  1. I only live two minutes away from where I needed to be...
  2. Yesterday's clothes were still laying out neatly across the dresser where I'd taken them off last night...
  3. The group I was to play the piano for were running late...
  4. A wonderful, life-saving gift called "winging it" that I seem to have an abundance of - and relied on heavily to get me through this!

Important aspects of "winging it" include the abilitiy to:

  • make a quick assessment ot the situation
  • devise a game plan, i.e. set list, on-the-fly
  • dissolve from "hurried and harried" into "calm and confident" when you hit the stage
  • open to Spirit and Divine Creativity for inspiration
  • focus with tunnel-vision-precision on staying in-the-moment

In the end, the event was a success. I felt good about what I gave, and they were very appreciative of what they received. What more is there?

Well, actually, there is more. It's called "learning from the experience." This wonderful, unexpected experience has given me a fresh look at what I'm grateful for:

  • musical gifts to share
  • opportunities to share them
  • on-line computer calenders with reminders
  • audiences with slow clocks
  • room to lay out my dirty clothes
  • a body that moves quickly
  • Toastmaster's and practice at impromptu speaking
  • the ability to "wing it" gracefully
  • unexpected adventures in the Journey

Here's to continuing the Journey... on the Wings of Gratitude.

-Becky


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wings of Gratitude: Great account of a special experience. Thank you for sharing! Keith