Last night, I went to a concert and twice had people (who I did not know) recognize me and tell me how much they enjoyed the show. (I've only lived in Huntsville a few years, so running into people who know me is still an unusual occurrence.)
Plus, this week as I've been up speaking in front of people - Toastmasters' meeting, choir rehearsal, my students' recital - I've felt different.... more calm, more self-assured... less anxious.... almost like it's just no big deal anymore!
I am so grateful for the experience and for such a fun way to step out of my comfort zone!
And since I am so bad at getting around to writing thank you cards, I wanted to say some thank you's to the Smoke Cast here.... especially since I'll miss the cast party on Sunday....
- Clint (Mervin, the preacher) - You are an incredible inspiration to me and a superb example of what it means to pour your whole self into your character and into the show. Every night you inspired us all to keep our energy up and to "get into the spirit". You put 110% + into everything you do and you're not afraid to learn new things - like how to play the piano and the accordion! I really enjoyed working with you in this new capacity and hope we get a chance to share the stage again!
- Emily (Denise, the "girl" twin) - Your ability to memorize the whole show word-for-word is amazing! You were the first one out of book and the first to know all the lyrics and chords to the songs. Everything you do, you jump into with excitement.... whether it's learning how to play piano or stand up bass for the show... or filling in on Dennis' solos the last night - sprained ankle and all! You are awesome!
- Amber (June, older sister) - One who "doesn't sing, I sign".... and steals the show every time with your "home-made" signing! You are also an inspiration and a tremendous example of what it means to get into your character 100%. You are a quiet, calm, yet intense presence on stage and I learned a lot from watching you. I hope we can work together again.
- Mel (Uncle Stanley) - Your beautiful voice, your solid vocal support and your strong stage presence was a joy to work with. Thank you for your dedication and learning to play the guitar and the stand up bass for the show!
- Kelly (Burl, father) - I already knew and appreciated your musical talents - vocal, guitar, bass, violin.... I really enjoyed working with you on stage and getting to know a little more about your many other talents and interests..... hunter, pilot, doctor, lawyer....
- Ryan (Dennis, the "boy" twin) - Watching you get into your monologue and solos was inspiring - definite "show-stealing" qualities! Every night, of all the songs in the show, I'd go home singing "Life is like a mountain railroad....." Thanks for all the energy you added to the show - and for learning the piano (and guitar!)
- Jayce (Cousin Cletus) - Banjo Picker, Extrodinaire!! You are amazing.... and it seemed like you just kept getting better and better! It would NOT have been the same show without your talented musical handiwork!
- Bob (Director) -Thank you for all you do behind stage to support the arts in Huntsville and through Renaissance Theatre. And I can't say thank you enough for giving me the opportunity and the encouragement to spread my wings and give the acting world a try..... It was an incredible experience and I loved it!