Friday, February 04, 2005

What Do You Really Want?

We all have different desires and needs, but if we don't discover what we want from ourselves and what we stand for, we will live passively and unfulfilled.
- Bill Watterson
Through December and the first part of January, the internet was brimming with on-line newsletters giving advice and helpful hints for New Years Resolutions and setting goals for 2005. Each had their own individual way of expressing it, but the basic steps boiled down to these:
  • decide what you want
  • design a plan
  • go for it
Now, that's all fine and good - IF you know what you want. My challenge has always been trying to decide exactly what DO I want?

My recent computer crash (read Computer Crash Course) helped me remember that the foundation for deciding what I want (verses going from this to that in endless circles) is in knowing my purpose for being here.
When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it.
- W. Clement Stone
With a mission in hand, I have a direction and a set of guidelines for evaluating large and small decisions and choices that come my way.

I'm finding, though, that even with these self-determined "boundries" it's still not always blatently clear where the road is.... It's like driving on a snow covered highway and you're in the lead car making the first tracks, surrounded by "white" all all sides. You have a good guess where the boundries of the road are - or should be - but you have to drive slowly and very intuitively, watching out for curves in the road.

I'd much rather have neon signs flashing and big arrows pointing the way!

But I guess that's just part of the Journey.... driving intuitively, watching for curves in the road.

-Becky

P.S. For ideas on finding your purpose and creating a mission statement for your life, read the latest issue of Create a Happy 'Tude - Desire.

No comments: