Thursday, March 24, 2005

Abundance of the Heart

Against All Odds
Against All Odds,
originally uploaded by bwaters.
Doing something you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life.
- Wayne Dyer, Staying on the Path

The key to understanding this "cornerstone" is found in the definitions of abundance and doing.

To me, abundance signifies more than just money. It encompasses our thoughts, our feelings, our attitudes and in a very real way, the essence of who we are.

Checking in with Webster and his 1989 edition of the Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary, this definition called out to me:

abundance - overflowing fullness: Abundance of the heart.

Abundance of the heart.... The only way I know to get there is to be in love with life. And the only way I know to being in love with life, is to fill your life with the things you love! People, projects, work, objects, activities.... everything!

And all of these life aspects are embodied in the "doing" this quote refers to.

However, before you can get to the doing, you have to look at the being - the human being - which brings me to these important questions:
  • How can you know what it is you love if you never ask?
  • How can you know what fills your heart if you never notice?
  • How can you know who you really are - your essence - if you never spend quality time with YOU?
Once you know who you are and what makes your heart overflow in its fullness, only then can you begin to create a life of abundance.

And often, I have found, going in the direction of your abundance is very different from what other people think your 'abundant direction' should be!

That's why this picture, Against All Odds, speaks to me so loudly. (Click on the image or the title to read the description and see a larger version.)

This picture also reminds me of the 'defiant attitude' in the song, I Will Survive, recorded by Gloria Gaynor:

I will survive - as long as I know how to love I know I'll stay alive; I've got all my life to live, I've got all my love to give and I'll survive; I will survive.

Here's to continuing the Journey... and having the courage to be who you are and do what you love... against all odds!

-Becky

PS. I have always believed that if you hear something three times, it's a message from God and you really need to listen. I would like to thank my three recent "messengers" (Stephen, Tim and Paul) for their comments and encouragement yesterday and today. In my struggles to listen to my own essence and move forward in my own 'abundant direction,' your words have given me a second wind to keep on keeping on! Thank you!

No comments: