Thursday, December 24, 2009

Peace on Earth begins with You and Me

"Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me."

This global anthem for peace has been playing in my mind all day. It was written in 1955 by Jill Jackson Miller, and was inspired by a quote she and a friend heard....

"Peace, to become a reality, has to be in the hearts and practice of the individual."

Like Lzo Tu said centuries ago, there can only be peace in the world when there is peace in your heart and peace in my heart.

And that peace can begin today... on Christmas Eve. It can begin any time this holiday season as we gather around family and friends..... If you choose.

It can begin by allowing others to be who they are without judgment. It can begin by forgiving that family member or friend. It can begin by expressing patience instead of frustration.

It can begin by always striving to come from a place of love.... for yourself and for others... instead of fear.

A simple concept.... but an idea that has to be practiced consciously.

Because, in reality, we are not that different from each other....

"I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry. And I know you do the same things too. So we're really not that different, me and you." - Colin Raye

May you practice peace today, tomorrow, and in the days ahead.... And remember, "There is no way to peace, peace IS the way." - A. J. Muste

Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on Earth, the peace that was meant to be.

With God as our Father, Brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother in perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me, Let this be the moment now.
With every step I take, Let this be my solemn vow

To take each moment and live each moment in peace eternally;
Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me.

Here's to continuing the Journey.... choosing peace and BEing peace today.

-Becky

Gladys Knight Singing "Let There Be Peace..."

(Read the history behind this song by Jill Jackson Miller and listen to an inspiring radio interview with her.)

No comments: