Tuesday, February 02, 2010

See the Flowers.... Look for the Diamonds

This morning I was checking in with one of my plants.... (Okay, yes, I admit, I do talk to my plants) ....And was noticing how happy it seemed to be in its new location. It seems to have more growth all the time and even had one of its tiny yellow flowers a several weeks ago.

When I checked it this morning, I saw another yellow flower.... in the same spot the other one had been.

However, when I looked again, it wasn't there. More investigation showed me that it was just the light reflecting on one of the leaves that could have made it seem like there was a flower there.

As I continued my morning meditation, the phrase came to me.... "see the flowers."

I remembered yesterday morning, enjoying the sunlight reflecting on the thin layer of frosted snow on our back deck and on the bare tree branches in the back yard. It looked like sparkling diamonds reflecting in the sun.

And I realized.... again.... it's all a matter of perception.

Our perception comes from our beliefs - those habitual thoughts that we've accepted as "truth." And our brain is wired to only let in things that "conform" to those beliefs.

This is a good thing - because we have so much information coming in through our senses that we would go insane if we consciously were aware of all of it. So, acting as sort of a "safety device" the brain has a critical filter that only lets in certain information. It's filtering system is based on our beliefs and those things we decide are important and relevant.

Say for instance, you decide you want to purchase a new car and you want something different - something that is unique. So you decide on a green jeep.

Well, the next thing you know, you're seeing green jeeps Everywhere! That's the critical mind filter at work. You decided green jeeps were important and relevant to you, so your mind's filter let's that information come in to your awareness now.

But don't take my word for it. Experiment and see for yourself. Decide you want to see green jeeps, tourquois mustangs, yellow butterflies..... or whatever. And count how many times you see them through the next few days.

There's a flip side to this too, however. When you have the belief that you're not good enough, you'll never succeed.... nobody appreciates you..... Those are the things you will see as well.

But the more good news is..... :) It's all a CHOICE.

And it starts with awareness..... (and that's a choice too!)

Here's to continuing the Journey.... choosing to see the flowers..... and being aware of the diamonds all around us.

-Becky

No comments: