Thursday, December 30, 2004

Happiness is a Choice

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds
to be."
-Abraham Lincoln
It's true.... because the only thing we really have control over is our thoughts.

We can choose to complain about our life and wallow in self-pitty. Or we can take charge of our thoughts and change our perspective.

This week I have begun the ominous task of clearing the clutter from my home office, getting my work space re-organized, evaluating what I've accomplished this year, and brainstorming about what I want to do next year. And I'm determined NOT to get overwhelmed... an easy, but very "unhappy" thing for me to get into.

I spent all morning yesterday, going through a 20-inch high stack of information I'd printed out over past several weeks. Then I got side-tracked on a writing project that I thought would only take an hour or so, but instead, took all afternoon.

As I was rushing to get ready for an early evening appointment, I felt the frustration coming on, realizing that this clearing-the-clutter project was going to take way more time than I thought. And I felt the overwhelm monster beginning to raise it's ugly head.

Luckily, instead of going down that road, I decided to stop and give myself a time-out. I thought about how wonderful it was going to be to walk into a clutter-free, organized office without having to follow the paper-stack-lined trail to get to my desk. I imagined how productive I would be and how good it would feel to easily finish all my projects next year in an organized, workable space.....

Then I decided to be happy instead of frustrated. I have this week and next week to get organized. I don't have to do it all today, or even tomorrow.

And that was a very happy relief!

Here's to continuing the Journey... taking charge of our thoughts and choosing happiness!

-Becky

No comments: