Wednesday, December 15, 2004

What's the Purpose?

Monday I finished up the next-to-the-last project in a long list of commitments I agreed to in September. Talk about a weight being lifted off my shoulders! This week, I only have one project to work on and it feels great - almost like begin on vacation!

I have a bad habit of piling too many things on my plate. Then, I start to feel overwhelmed and trapped when due dates start coming around.

These trapped, overwhelm feelings also happen because I haven't been purposeful about scheduling time to work on each project as soon as it's agreed to. Instead, I tend to go merrily along with all these To-Do's labeled as "future" events in my head. Then, when the lead time has been reduced to emergency status, tunnel-vision kicks in and it's full-force ahead, all-engines-go! As a result, all projects behind the current one get put even further behind, the stress level increases and the cycle continues.

And in the middle of my exhaustion, I wonder.... What's the purpose? Why do I continue to do this to myself? What do I really want?

Do I agree to do things because "yes" is my default answer? Or do I decide to do them because they are in line with my purpose in life?

Sadly, I realize the answer is that I'm living more by default than on purpose.

Unfortunately, living on default is like living on the defense, reacting to everything, which eventually begins to feel like everything is beyond my control. When I feel like I have no choice, the stress level goes up and tempers become short.

The truth is, though, I DO have a choice. And that choice is to continue to agree to anything and everything that comes along without discretion, or the choice to take a minute and think about whether this new project will move me more toward my purpose or away from my purpose.

One thing I have begun to realize over the past couple of years is that just because I CAN do something, doesn't mean I HAVE to do it. Guess I need to take that one step further and start filtering in how each potential project fits into my life purpose, which is....

... to live with passion and open-hearted awareness, and to inspire others to do the same by digging deep into their souls and discovering the Truth.

Here's to continuing the Journey.... learning to make better choices and living on Purpose.

-Becky

No comments: