Monday, December 06, 2004

Finding the Balance - Dictator vs Enabler

As a teacher, I am always conscious of the fine line between the two extremes - setting guidelines for the student and giving constructive feedback, verses giving the student room to explore their own creativity and space to discover their own answers.

With my music students, how do I encourage their creativity and love of music while building a solid musical foundation? How do I help them memorize and eventually internalize the "rules" that make the language of music enjoyable without dampening their enthusiasm and weighing them down with.... well, the "rules?"

As for myself, I have never liked being told what to do or how to do it - especially when it comes to my creativity. Yet, on the other hand, whether it's music, writing, working on a job or project, or finding myself in a new situation - I want to know what the "rules" are. Mainly, so that I can change, challenge or stretch them if they don't suit me!

However, I've noticed throughout my life that I don't always give others this same privilege. When directing other people in creative projects, I tend to become a Creative Dictator instead of a Creativity Enabler.

Thinking back over a rehearsal I directed last night, I see that the Dictator took the leading roll most of the evening. I wish I had allowed more of the Enabler to shine through.

Being the Enabler requires trust. Trust in the abilities and talents of the people you're working with, for sure. But even more, it requires trust in the Creative Process.

Last night was our first rehearsal - a band rehearsal for a Christmas musical production. I meant it to be more of an information session - a chance to give music cues, let them know what's happening where in the drama and on stage, as well as a chance to go through the music together and assign vocal parts, instrumental leads and such.

This was not the time to dictate exactly what they would play, which was fairly easy with the drums and guitars because I don't play them. The keyboard, however, was a different story. And, looking back, I feel like I went a little overboard.... or gave my suggestions to the keyboard guy just a little too strongly. I apologize for this.

Also, in those think-on-my-feet situations, I have a tendency to come across a little more dictator-like than how I really mean. This comes from a lifetime habit of trying to say something in the least amount of words.... which is a by-product of growing up shy. The result, unfortunately, is that what I really mean doesn't always come out in the first few words that come out of my mouth. And those first words often come out as a really bad Reader's Digest version that sometimes misses the whole point entirely!

.... And I tend to worry.... being especially sensitive to Creative Dictators personally, and knowing that there are more than a few examples in my history of being one myself, I am acutely aware that I do that thing that I hate the most!

Why do I do that!?

.... A question for another day. For now, I'll just continue to be aware of my Creative Dictator tendency and be on the look out for opportunities to give the Creative Enabler the staring role.

Here's to continuing the Journey... finding balance and trusting the creative process.

- Becky

No comments: