Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Distance Between

The distance between where I want to be in life compared to where I am now is.... probably a 5th or a 6th - measured by musical intervals, that is.

A musical interval refers to the distance between two notes. This "distance" is called an interval, and can be 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths and 8ths, which are called octaves.

I've been thinking about intervals a lot lately.... Each one has a certain recognizable sound, and in my article, Melody Codes, (which I'm considering turning into my first e-book), I give examples of each interval as used in common tunes. I wrote it several years ago, so I'm thinking about offering a contest to my piano/organ students to come up with more up-to-date examples.

All this must have gotten the creative juices flowing because after checking my email this morning, I turned off the world (i.e. my email program) and wrote a song - for the first time in about a year.

It felt GREAT!

Of course, then I did the obsessed tunnel-vision thing and couldn't stop until it was done. (My plan was to just write for an hour and establish this as a new morning habit.) That was at 8:30 a.m. CT. It is now 1:00 p.m. CT.

Oh well.... Here's to continuing the Journey... and letting the creativity flow!

-Becky

Here's a copy of the first page. Made an mp3 file too. When I figure out how to upload it, I'll share it with you!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Thanks, Paul. Visit the page again when you get a chance. The mp3 file is there now.

(Yipee!! Figured it out!)

-Becky