Monday, April 18, 2005

Can't See the Forest for the Trees

Life is busy.... very busy.

And often when I'm in the middle of it, trying to keep focused, I tend to negate what I have done and only look at the long list of what's next.

It's like being in the middle of a forest and only seeing the trees.

So on this beautiful, clear, sunny Monday morning, I thought I'd take a step back and look at the forest....

Here's some things on my plate.... and the progress I made last week:
  • end-of-the-year program for the Children's Choir Program Sunday afternoon; I've been filling-in for the last three weeks after the director resigned. The kids were awesome!
  • decided for sure how I wanted my summer teaching schedule to be and made a calendar of events
  • wrote up info about a beginners piano camp I'm teaching this summer and created a brochure, business card, webpage and on-line registration form for it. (Piano Camp 2005)
  • still working on a newsletter for parents and students updating them on end-of-the-year and summer schedule; getting the camp info completed was a sub-project in this
  • sent a request to students and parents for testimonials to use in my marketing materials
  • have memorized all my lines for Smoke on the Mountain and have been "off book" for the past two rehearsals
  • can play all the songs for the show from memory and know my vocal part on them
  • almost have all the lyrics to the songs memorized
  • accompanied 11.5 hours of students at UAH preparing for recitals and juries (A "jury" is the musician's equivilant of a final exam. They perform the songs they've been working on all semester for a "jury" of faculty members)
  • taught 14 lessons (piano, organ, or composition)
  • went to two outside performances that some of my students were involved in
  • had two coaching sessions with clients
  • had my own voice coaching session with a colleague
  • and many more things..... but I'm now out of time to list them
.... got to go get ready for today!

Here's to continuing the Journey.... taking care of the "trees" while enjoying the "forest"!

-Becky

No comments: