Thursday, April 14, 2005

We are Responsible for What We Are

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our own past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in the future can be produced by our present actions; so we have to know how to act.
-Swami Vivekananda, Daily Hindu Wisdom

The guiding mantra in a Dale Carnegie training I took many years ago was, “If you act enthusiastic, you’ll be enthusiastic!” I’ve heard dozens of variations on this actions-change-feelings philosophy throughout the years.

Actions do change feelings. Physical activity helps clear the mind too. I can’t count how many times I’ve been paralyzed by inertia, but when I finally got myself up and moving, whatever problem I’d been stuck on seemed to solve itself. Within minutes sometimes, I’d get a flash of insight or a big ‘aha’ solution to the problem.

Basically, when you get your body moving, the blood gets flowing, you start breathing deeper and the next thing you know, you’ve got a whole different mental outlook!

… whatever we wish to be in the future can be produced by our present actions; so we have to know how to act.

Deep down, we know how to act. We know what’s best for us. But for some reason, we tend to disbelieve that inner wisdom unless it’s told to us from someone else. At least that’s true for me.

The other morning, I was thinking about my finances and wondering what would be the best strategy to get some credit cards paid off quickly. I wished there was someone I could go talk to and get advice.

I’d gotten a late start on my getting-ready routine that morning and only had a few minutes left to get my hair started when the phone rang. I typically don’t answer it when I’m running this late, but when I saw it was from a bank, I answered it, thinking well, maybe this is an answer to my prayer.

The lady on the other end was soliciting a credit card with a 1.9% interest rate. I told her that I might be interested, but that I didn’t have time to talk to her right then. She persisted, saying that the application would only take a few minutes.

Well, at that moment, I had about five minutes left to finish my hair, which would give me 30 minutes to run two errands before my appointment in a relatively leisure, unhurried fashion.

Long story short – I gave her my last five minutes, which made me rushed, pissed and late for my appointment. PLUS in the middle of the “application” I realized that this offer really would not be in my best interest.

So, looking back, I did not trust my inner wisdom to use that last five minutes in a way that would be best for me.

We have the power to make ourselves.

I believe that “power” refers to our inner wisdom. Because it is we, us, you, me… who ultimately decides how to act.

What this scenario helped me realize was that I DO know what is right for me…. And if I listen closely enough, I will either know how best to solve my financial situation or I will be guided to a true helper.

Here’s to continuing the Journey…. listening, knowing and taking action steps toward the future we want.

-Becky

No comments: