Friday, April 01, 2005

Dare to Be the Fool

Happy New Year... I mean... Happy April Fool's Day!

Back before the Gregorian calendar became the official calendar, April 1st was considered to be the first day of the year. But everybody didn't get the word right away, or either refused to believe it entirely. These "traditionalists" continued to celebrate the New Year's Day on April 1 instead of January 1, and the "modernists" would make fun of them by sending them on "fool's errands" or trying to get them to believe something that was not true. (Find out more history here: April Fools Day)

The April edition of my newsletter, Create a Happy 'Tude, is about getting out of the "comfort zone". That habitual place of seeming safety we tend to stay in because we don't want to feel "uncomfortable" or look "foolish."

For starters, I invite my readers to go beyond the usual, 'comfortable' meaning of the word "fool" - and think deeper. What if the "fool" represents a carefree spirit able to step out into the unknown - i.e. out of their comfort zone - without fear or caution.... Like the little boy in The Emperor's New Clothes who, in childlike wisdom, spoke up and said, "Hey wait a minute, I'm not buying all this polite adult comfort zone stuff. The guy is prancing around in his 'birthday suit'!"

Here's to continuing the Journey.... speaking up, speaking out.... daring to be the fool!

-Becky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

I got a little more insight into Journey to Perfection from the Disciple class Monday night. For me the only thing worth striving for perfection is to be perfect in love.

But about this comfort zone, we often have a belief that there will be discomfort when we leave our comfort zone. The truth is we don't know what stepping out of our comfort zone will be like until we do it. In my recent experience I found the worst part was escaping my comfort zone. Once out of my comfort zone I found freedom, joy, excitement, awe, energy, and more.

Chris

Becky said...

Yes.... freedom, joy excitement, awe, energy, and more! THAT is what life is all about!!

And once you taste it.... it's hard to be satisfied inside the prison walls of the Comfort Zone again.

-Becky