Monday, March 28, 2005

To Be Authentic, Follow Your Bliss

You can't be authentic unless you're following your bliss.
- Wayne Dyer, Staying on the Path

Translation:
You can't claim origin or authorship of your life unless you're going in the direction of that which puts you in a state of extreme happiness or spiritual joy.

In other words:
If you're trying to live by someone else's rules, someone else's expectations, someone else's belief system, etc, you're not being YOU. Living this way will never bring you true happiness.

However, the bottom line is:
In order to BE YOU, you have to know WHO you are.... And that means spending some time with your Self and finding the answers to these questions:
  • Who am I?
  • What do I want?
Since finishing grad school nearly two years ago, I have been wrestling with these questions and doing some major soul searching about my life and what I'm supposed to be doing with it. And in a lot of ways, this past month feels like its been a big test - like a final, comprehensive exam of my whole life!

One month ago, the end of February, I had finally come to a decision about what I wanted for my life. However, it was a bit tentative and I was still questioning whether I'd chosen the right path or not. So I asked for divine guidance.....

What I learned was that asking for 'divine guidance' is about the same as asking for 'patience'.... Don't ask for it unless you've got your seatbelt fastened and are ready for a wild ride!

Because what you get is a whole bunch of life experiences that offer you the opportunity to BE patient..... Or in my case, a surprise offer that made me question, re-think and re-evaluate my previous answers to: Why am I here? What's my purpose? and What the heck do I really want?

This re-evaluation process also gave me opportunities to 'speak my Truth'. And that's one of the key ingredients in my previous evaulations that had been missing. It's one thing to mull things over in your head, looking at different options and possibilities, but until you 'try on' different scenerios and situations to see how they feel, it's all just ideas floating around in your head.

When you speak the words out loud, it you gives a circular, whole-body kind of experience - you say it, you hear it and you interpret or digest it. Having a support partner for this is critical.... And I had several - to whom I am eternally grateful!

Basically, I'm back to "plan A". Except now I have a clearer picture of where I want to go and a stronger sense of "ownership" and knowing that "yes, this is the real, authentic Me."

Here's to continuing the Journey... and finding clarity and support on the road to blissful authenticity!

-Becky

Need help knowing who you are and what you want? Try these resources:

Free Enneagram Test - based on an ancient system, discover which of the nine personality archetypes you fall under (site also has a comprehensive Enneagram FAQ)

Free Happiness Quiz - score your happiness level in 11 different areas of your life

Choosing Happiness - The First Step - a three-session starter coaching program designed for Happiness Quiz participants who are ready to begin the journey toward 'authentic bliss'

20 personal development and spiritual growth programs at Higher Awareness - a wonderful collection of programs to help you know and grow yourself


No comments: