Monday, January 11, 2010

You See What You Expect

The old adage, "Seeing is believing," which implies that we must rely on the physical sense of sight to verify that something is true, is being replaced by "when you believe it, you'll see it" (or as Wyne Dyer titled his book, "You See It When You Believe It."

Last night I experienced this phenomenon first hand....

My husband and I were downstairs in the den - he was at standing by his desk (which is in the corner directly away from the back door) and I was sitting on the couch (on the opposite side of the room). I left the room for a few minutes to go upstairs. Then came back.

While I was gone, I heard him rattling around. When I came back down, I expected to see him by the backdoor (getting ready or just coming back from smoking outside) or standing/sitting at his desk. My eyes check both places as I came down the stairs. He was not at either.

So I called out, " Are you there?" (sometimes it's hard to see him sitting at his desk, when you first come down the stairs as there are shelves and a ficus tree in front of the desk.)

When he answered, "Yes" and then got up out of the chair I was standing next to, I jumped about 3 feet off the ground. (The chair is one of the first things you "see" when you come into the room from the stairs.)

It was pretty freaky - and amazing that I just completely looked over (through?) him.

But it's a perfect example of.... you see what you expect.

It made me wonder.... what else am I not "seeing" that's right in front of me?

And taking that deeper.... what "beliefs" might be holding me back from "seeing" my potential .... or might be keeping me from creating and achieving my heart's desires?

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."
- Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich

Here's to continuing the Journey.... believing.... and seeing.... clearing the way for possibilities to become reality.

- Becky

No comments: