Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Allegory of the Cave & The Matrix

I remember Plato's Republic from High School/College, but don't remember his "Allegory of the Cave." So, when I found the video of it awhile back, I was very intrigued.

The idea of seeing (and knowing) only the "illusion" vs seeing and knowing the "Truth" is a constant quest of mine. And helping people see beyond the illusion of their self-limiting beliefs to embrace the Truth about themself is one of my passions.

As both a student of A Course in Miracles - which talks about seeing beyond the illusion - and a sci-fi buff, I loved the movie, The Matrix. So when I found this video I had to share it! It talks about Plato's Allegory as well. (A video of the whole Allegory of the Cave is below this one.)

Whether you agree with the philosophies presented, the main message to me, is to explore for yourself and not believe everything that is handed to you in the media, in advertisements, or from any organization.... (and yes, that includes government and church.)

There is usually an agenda. (just for starters..... Media - to keep their ratings high, advertisement - to get you to buy their stuff, government - to keep them in control, church.... well, let's just say that in any "organization" one of its chief concerns is to keep itself "alive"....)

The point is.... Ask questions, look for second, third, fourth opinions. Think.... Feel..... for yourself.

The ancient adage, "know thyself" includes examining your beliefs and knowing why you believe them. 

.... Okay.... I'll get off my "soap box" :) and let you enjoy the videos.... Please leave a comment. I would love to hear your thoughts.

(And just to be clear, my "agenda" here is to offer thoughts, ideas, experiences, etc that encourage you to ask questions and to search for your own answers.)

"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the continents, and the oceans was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin, American social historian and educator

Matrix Philosophy - The Cave:


Plato, The Allegory of the Cave:


Here's to continuing the Journey..... learning.... expanding.... seeing past the illlusion...... on the Road to Enlightenment.... (which is what the Journey is all about!)

-Becky

No comments: