Wednesday, May 04, 2005

"Feed Off the Audience"

At the beginning of my comfort-zone-stretching, first-time-since-10th-grade new actress adventure... (read Stepping Out for the background story)... the idea of memorizing all my lines and remembering where the heck to say them seemed like an impossible task! And I was terrified of the probability that the audience would be laughing or might even shout out comments or something during my monologue... (which IS hysterical!)

But all the experienced actors told me that I would know my lines and be so in to what I was saying that it wouldn't bother me, and that I'd actually "feed" off their laughter.

Well, I nodded and smiled like a "good girl," but I didn't buy it.

Last night, though, I got a taste of what they meant....

We had three older couples walk in unexpectedly during our rehearsal, giving us our first "real" audience.... and now I understand!

Wow... what a rush! Having them there laughing, singing along, enjoying the show was tremendously encouraging and energizing! Just think what it will be like with the whole place filled with people!

I can't wait... I'm hooked! Let the feast begin!

Here's to continuing the Journey.... stretching, growing, experiencing, believing!

-Becky

P.S. See pictures here.... scroll down to the second show listed. (I'm the one in the gold dress.)

No comments: